NOT OUR FIRST RODEO: COTTON HOLDINGS AT THE 2023 WORLD'S CHAMPIONSHIP BAR-B-QUE CONTEST
Approaching nearly a decade of participation in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo’s signature events, Cotton Holdings knew it had to turn up the heat in 2023. We’re passionate about serving our community, and the Rodeo’s commitment to supporting education through scholarships, program grants and more is making a significant difference in the lives of Texas youth.
Beyond serving as the Title Sponsor of the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest (WCBBQC) for the second year in a row, the Cotton Companies pulled out all the stops and joined in on the fun of all the Rodeo Houston events, helping them raise money for students across the state.
Cooking Up Magic at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup & Best Bites Competition
At the start of the festivities, the Cotton Culinary team brought their creative vision to life at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup & Best Bites Competition. Their signature dish, The Cotton Pearl, consisted of Wagyu beef on toasted brioche with sweet potato hay and a side of cotton candy topped with demi pearls and gold dust. And sure enough, this delightful combination of savory and sweet enchanted attendees and earned the most votes among the dozens of participating dishes to receive the People’s Choice Award. Our team was truly honored to take this award home for a second year in a row.
Partying the Night Away at the Cotton ‘Q Club & Gold Pony
From there, the Cotton team got to work setting up the Cotton ‘Q Club, our 10,292-square-foot space at the WCBBQC. From plush tartan carpet to a tufted bar and crystal chandeliers, we spared no extravagance for our guests. Adding to the elegance, VIPs gained access to an exclusive speakeasy, the Gold Pony, which featured signature drinks and appetizers.
Knowing we wanted to offer our guests the best of the best, we partnered with Breggy Bomb Foods to create mouthwatering BBQ with their sauces and rubs, Casa Del Sol Tequila and Dripping Springs Vodka to mix up thirst-quenching drinks and Teressa Foglia to develop bespoke hats for our team members.
Throughout the weekend, the Cotton ‘Q Club stage was graced with acts including Cooper Wade, Grammy-nominated Cole Swindell, Matt Moeller, Aaron Watson, Hayden Baker and The Bellamy Brothers, and the dance floor was crowded with people having the time of their lives.
If you missed us at the WCBBQC, you can still check out the Cotton ‘Q Club and Gold Pony through media coverage from KPRC 2 Click2Houston and Fox 26 Houston, or browse through the photos below.
The Winners of the 2023 World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest
At the end of the weekend, Cotton Holdings had the honor of once again presenting the awards to the winners of each cook-off category along with members of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo committee. Check out the judges’ results.
- Grand Champion Overall: Jasper County Go Texan
- Reserve Champion Overall: McLennan County Go Texan
Champion: Always Able But Confused Cookers
Second Place: San Augustine County Go Texan
Third Place: Metro Go Texan 1/BJ’s Blue Smoke BBQ
- Champion: Guzzlin’ Gourmets
- Second Place: The Star of Texas Cooking Team
- Third Place: Paloma Blanca
- Champion: Hardin County Go Texan
- Second Place: Metro Go Texan 5 / The Worms BBQ Team
- Third Place: Rancho Cerveza
- Go Texan
- Grand Champion: Jasper County Go Texan
- Reserve Champion: McLennan County Go Texan
- Dutch Oven Dessert
- Champion: Orange County Go Texan – TX Ooey Gooey Pecan
- Second Place: Hardin County Go Texan – Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Third Place: Shelby County Go Texan – Nana’s German Chocolate Cake
- Open Contest
- Champion: Lonesome Dove Cookers – Turf and Surf
- Second Place: Half Fast Cookers – Surf and Turf
- Third Place: Ritch’s Raiders – Shrimp Grits
- Jr. Cook-Off
- Champion: Brodie Daniel, Metro Go Texan 1/BJ’s Blue Smoke BBQ
- Second Place: Karley Aleksines, Williamson County
- Third Place: Braxton Kolojaco, 300 Justice Road
- Specialty Awards
- Best Façade: Limestone County
- Best Overall Theme: Saddle Tramps
- Best Skit: BOHICA
Another Rodeo for the Books
Our team had a great time hosting guests at the Cotton ‘Q Club, and we look forward to doing it again next year. We’re grateful to our partners, employees, volunteers and guests who made this a WCBBQC worth remembering and who helped us support the Rodeo’s mission of funding educational programs throughout Texas.
Not ready for the rodeo fun to end? There’s still time to check out the carnival, concerts and bounty of fried foods. Get your tickets at RodeoHouston.com today!